American Idol: Group 3
I was underwhelmed with the show this evening. I’d say this group ranks a distant third as far as performances go. No one truly impressed me, and I’m not sure any should get a second chance in the wildcard round.
That being said, here’s how I saw things:
- Lil Rounds: Not my type of music, but clearly the best vocal of the night. If I liked this music, I probably would have been impressed.
- Scott Macintyre: Decent performance, but I’d like to see him go through so we can see him play on the piano while singing.
- Jorge Nunez: Again, not necessarily my style, but I think he should go through. He’s likeable and a good singer. I think the competition can only support one ballad-type singer, so Scott or Jorge could be an early out in the Top 12.
The 2nd Tier
- Kristen McNamara: She’s likeable and cute, an above average singer that has room to grow.
- Felicia Barton: Also a good singer and a great story, getting a last second callback for the show. She shouldn’t make it through, but you never know.
The Distant 3rd
- Kendall Beard: I like her, but it’s hard to see her as anything more than a country singer. She doesn’t belong in the Top 12.
- Von Smith: He didn’t sing awful, but he didn’t stand out much either.
- Ju’not Joyner: I liked the slow start to the song, but he should have picked up the pace in the middle to give it some pop.
- Arriana Afsar: Terrible song choice, but she just makes the cut above the bottom of the barrel folks.
The Bottom of the Barrel
- Alex Wagner-Trugman: He’s really likeable. But that song was awful. Awful.
- Taylor Vaifanua: I’ve seen her sing the entire song, then saw the playback, and I still can’t remember much about her.
- Nathaniel Marshall: Did you see him perform? I predict he’s last to go for the suspense.
In the end, I think anyone in my 1st and 2nd tier could go through, with Lil Rounds being the only shoe-in. We’ll see though.
Also, the wildcard round is on Thursday, not next week. This means polling for Fantasy Idol will open after Thursday’s show sometime, possibly by Friday morning. Watch for the official post then!