American Idol: Group 2
From the “This is why I need a DVR” department… I set our VCR (yes, you read that correctly) to record American Idol this evening, but I forgot to set the digital converter box to Fox, so we actually taped the first 40 minutes of Biggest Loser instead of Idol.
From the recap at the end of the episode, it looks like that may have worked out well for us, as the performances seemed pretty bad. Watching Nick’s short clip was like a flashback to the tryouts, only it was a contestant that things they can sing and the judges just lay into him. How did he make it this far again?
Ok, from those that I saw, here’s who I liked (and didn’t):
My Top 3 (Should advance to Top 12)
- Allison Iraheta: I like her sound, but the song choice won me over. Jaime thinks I have residual love for anyone who sings Alone by Heart because Carrie Underwood sang it so well several years ago. Could be.
- Kris Allen: None of the guys really blew me away, but one has to make it. I like Kris, but I think Adam Lambert makes it.
- Megan Joy Corkrey: There’s something about her voice that I just love. It was a fun song, but her dancing could use some work. She’s marketable, so she should be a good fit for the top 12.
My Second Tier
- Mishavonna Henson: She was good, but I kind of agree with Simon that she sounded too old. I think she’s the odd girl out in this strong group of girls. Hopefully she gets a call back for the wildcard round.
- Jesse Langseth: Likeable but just ok voice for me. I wouldn’t mind if she got another shot in the wildcard round, but I’m ok if she doesn’t.
My Bottom Tier
- Matt Breitzke: Simon’s right. He’s quite forgettable with his song choice, but that’s probably a good thing. It certainly moves him up my list. I wish I could forget these other two goofballs below him.
- Kai Kalama: Ugh. Awful. He looked like a greasy car salesman/vegas singer cross. The song was a terrible choice. I had such high hopes for such a cool name, too.
- Adam Lambert: I’m definitely in the “hate it” crowd on this one. Way too over the top, awful vocals, stupid expressions. Randy’s right, though, he looks like Edward Cullen of Twilight fame. There should be enough young girls that find him attractive that he should get more votes than Kris Allen, which is too bad.
So how do you rank them?