How do short-term mission trips affect those who go?
- 75% say the experience changed their life in some way
- 25% say it helped them become more aware of other people’s struggles
- 16% say it taught them more about poverty, justice, or the world
- 11% say it increased their compassion
- 9% say it enriched their faith
- 9% say it broadened their spiritual understanding
- 5% say it boosted their financial generosity
It would be interesting to see where our youth fall on this, but my guess is the percentages are higher. Group recently shared some stats about the Workcamp Experience, based on the at-camp survey:
Question (% answering “yes”)
- Did the youth leader grow closer to the youth in their group? (99%)
- Did the youth leader feel their youth grew closer to God? (98%)
- Did the youth group grow closer to each other as part of the camp experience? (97%)
- Did each camper grow closer to God? (97%)
- Would each camper want to participate in Group mission camp again? (97%)
Not bad. I’m looking forward to our next trip already. Speaking of which, the deadline to register is October 19.