Last night, we celebrated our 8th Graders who are getting ready to make their Confirmation this Sunday. It’s a special day in the lives of our students, so we celebrate them at a special banquet every year. Everyone gets dressed up and we put on an amazing spread of food for families.
Each year, we get comments about how great the event is, but especially about the food. That’s all thanks to Mike Hangen and his crew of helpers. This year, that was Anne Miller and Kathy Figini. (Kathy #1 of Kathy, Cathy, Kathy, Cathi, Kathy fame.) The team outdid themselves again this year!
Another special piece of the banquet is that our High School students serve the meal to the 8th Graders. Megan, Shannon, Hope, Kelsey and Anna were our serving crew this year. It’s fun to see them serve, but especially fun for this event as they wait on the “Rising Freshman” as they are starting to be called.
The best part, however, is this is an opportunity for students to get some one-on-one focused time with their parents. Just like with Everyday Faith: My Bible and the Senior Blessing Event, we want to provide opportunities for families to have special moments with their children. For many of the kids, this is probably one of the few times when they’re able to be the sole point of attention for their parents.
I’m looking for ways our Remix Students (6th-8th grade) can be a blessing to our church family. We’re going to try a Mystery Meal for the congregation. Here’s how it works:
- Church members sign up for a pre-scheduled dinner time (say, Sunday the 31st at 6 p.m.). They don’t know who they will be eating with, only that they have dinner scheduled.
- Remix students and families sign up to host the dinners.
- The meals are prepped by the youth on the Thursday before the dinner for oven-cooking and portioned to serve 7-9 people.
- Youth receive their invite list and call to invite their guests to dinner.
- There is a conversation piece that comes with each dinner to help people get to know one another.
A significant portion of the church would be having dinner together, all at the same time, but we’d all be meeting in homes. It would be an opportunity for people to get to know some new people and make some good connections. Can’t wait.